When it comes to symbols that represent honor and loyalty, consider the knight. These tattoos are usually worn by men, mostly in European countries. However, that doesn’t mean women can’t wear them too!
These body art pieces can be designed in different ways and depicted using multiple elements. This gives the wearer and the tattoo artist many options to consider.
They can also depict a knight with different weapons, symbols and attire. Because they require a lot of detail, they are usually made large and placed on the back, arm or chest.
The story of a knight
The definition of a knight is a warrior in armor in the service of his lord or king. Knights were usually of noble birth, but not always. In the right situation, a boy of non-noble blood could become a knight. Boys began to learn to wield a sword at a very early age. They also helped in the castle by doing chores around the house.
When a boy qualified, he was assigned a master knight, who was responsible for teaching him all the skills necessary to become a full-fledged knight. In turn, he would be responsible for cleaning his armor and weapons, as well as anything else the master would require.
Characteristics of a knight
They were the perfect example of respect, loyalty and courage, they were taught to fear absolutely nothing and to fight for their respected lord or king with the highest level of dignity and honor.
They would give their lives without question for the country they love. These selfless actions define the characteristics of a loyal knight.
Design ideas and symbolism of the tattoo
If you like symbolic tattoos, you can’t deny the rich, positive symbolism of the knight.
It can symbolize pride in your homeland, or it can be worn as a symbol of historical significance or even service in the armed forces.
These tattoos can be done in many different ways, for example:
- They can depict a knight on a horse or without a horse;
- The knight may be fully armed with a naked sword, or may be depicted without a helmet;
- They can also depict a knight with a sword and shield kneeling;
- You can also do something with the concept of armor.
Make your knight tattoo unique with symbols and colors. Each knight had a different set of symbols and colors that they wore on their clothing, shields, weapons, flags, and horse. In this way, it was easy to distinguish the knights in time of war. This can also be a way to make your tattoo unique to you. Get creative and use whatever color you want.
Variations of the knight tattoo
- The Angel Knight : The Angel Knight is a great example of this. He is usually portrayed with angel wings and a sword, acquiring a fantasy element.
- Dark Knight : You can also depict your knight as a dark character in black with skulls or other dark associations. Some depict the knight in a storm, perhaps with dark clouds or lightning. Such a design may symbolize death, suffering, or evil.
- Lions, Roses, and Weapons : You can also include symbols such as a lion and a rose. They are often depicted on shields.